Saturday, December 24, 2011

Boys Christmas turns 18

(Just a brief thought on Boys Christmas, there is a database being compiled for those in the know, but for now here's what I've got)

     I awoke this morning to the brutal and beautiful cacophony of jet engines blended with chainsaw with a hint of Wookie howl mixed in … actually it was the chorus of a multitude of Boys deep in early morn slumber.  I groaned and pulled my sweatshirt over my head to no avail.  I heard stirrings about and cracked a crusty eyelid to peep Jesse Ernesto and Johnny Hein picking their way through a labyrinth of slumbering Boys.  The Christmas tree lights twinkled and the smell of perpetually warming meat wafted from the crockpot that had been left on too long.  The stench of Boy filled the air.  About the room bodies were strewn like casualties of some cliche Zombie pic and empty cups, beer bottles, whiskey glasses, and champagne bottles(congrats to all the fathers to be) peered from beneath the tables and chairs… thus began the morn after Boys Christmas 18.
     It has been many years since last I had the opportunity to attend the yearly gathering of Boys, but in my heart I have always felt present.  Without drifting too much into the history of this epic gathering I have to say that my heart was full indeed last night as I sat and ate and drank and laughed and flatulated with some of the best Boys I have had the good fortune to know.  Boys Christmas is a tradition unlike any other that I have heard of, a gathering steeped in the mythology of who we were as much as the truth of who we are.  Years ago when Boys Christmas began it was Boys fighting to be Boys, through the years it was Boys fighting against turning  into men and now at Boys Christmas 18, when  Boys has finally reached manhood we are Men embracing being Boys.  To all the Boys in attendance last eve Dan Liebs, Johnny Hein, Ben Allen, Ryan Berkley, Tommy Rounds, Jesse Ernest, Ken Janke, Steve Kemp, the good Rev. Mark Allen, and our gracious host Mike Carmen, as well as all those unable to attend, you lads are the greatest, you have helped shape me, for better or worse, into who I am today and I thank and love each and every one of you.  Know that even on the years when I have not been in attendance I have donned my BC11 shirt and brought out my BCX coloring book for all to see.  As Dan Liebs can attest if you are to come to Flagstaff don't be surprised if you are greeted with a "are you one of the Boys?"  Merry Christmas Boys and to all a good night

No comments:

Post a Comment